Monday, August 08, 2005

Samba, soul and swing

New additions to the PJ library; we're all over the map this week:

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd
"Jazz Samba" (1962)


Why it took me so long to track down this landmark collection is anybody's guess, though I did have "Desafinado" on a compilation CD. Stan Getz really hit the ball out of the park when he ventured into bossa nova territory. And note to self: Find more Charlie Byrd albums.

Nina Simone
"The Colpix Years" (1959)


I'd been circling around Nina Simone for a while, and then I found this compilation. Is it jazz? R&B? Pop? I vote for all of the above. "Children Go Where I Send You" and "Willow Weep For Me" are personal favorites. Hmm, I wonder if she ever recorded with the similarly deep-voiced Johnny Hartman?

Artie Shaw
"The Great Artie Shaw" (1987)


Allmusic.com writes: "Tremendous cuts, though issued in this label's typically feeble sound quality." Maybe so, but the guitar/clarinet doubled melody line on "Scuttlebutt" sounds anything but feeble to me.